People may want to know different kinds of car insurance. In this article, we will look at the main kinds of car insurance and how they can help you in case of an accident.
First of all, there is a general type of insurance. This is a more expensive option than the others, and it only covers your car if you have an accident. You need to consider that your policy only covers you in case of an accident that is on the road, so if you drive around in a rented car or other vehicles that are not on the way, then you are not covered by this policy.
There is also the second type of car insurance. The main advantage of this is that it can cover all your car needs and you are not required to have a contract with any one company. Therefore, it is a more expensive option, but it does have more coverage.
Then there is the third type of car insurance. It is less expensive than the other models, and it is similar to the second type but not quite as steep. This type is for when you do not drive your car, and you have another person drive it for you.
Then there is the comprehensive insurance. This is a type of insurance that will cover all aspects of your car. If you do not own your vehicle, then this will give you coverage for that.
The fourth type of car insurance is third party insurance. It is a type of insurance that covers all of your car’s needs. You do not need to purchase anything, so it is the most affordable option in this category.
The fifth type of car insurance is high mileage options. It covers you when you drive less than fifty miles per day and more than one hundred miles per day. Therefore, it covers you in the event of an accident in your car.
Hopefully, now you can understand the various types of car insurance and the advantages and disadvantages of each one. You can now decide if you want to have the most expensive of these four types of car insurance or the cheapest.
If you would like to read more about this topic, we recommend reading this article.
It is no secret that South Africa has one of the highest carjacking rates in the world. In 2017 there was an average of 46 reported hijackings per day! 
In February 2017, the vehicle tracking company Ctrack released a report in which they revealed the hijacking statistics for different car brands for the year of 2016. Here are the results: 
In order of popularity:
The most popular hijacked passenger car was the VW Polo.
Image source Businesstech.co.za
In order of popularity:
- Land Rover
The most popular passenger SUV was the Toyota Fortuner.
Image source Businesstech.co.za
It comes as no surprise that the most hijacked vehicles are also the bestselling ones in South Africa.
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Getting Hijacked?
There is nothing you can do to prevent getting hijacked, although there are steps you can take to reduce your risk.
- Always keep your car doors locked and your windows closed.
- When stopping at a red light, leave some space between your vehicle and the one in front of you. If you don’t have to come to a complete stop, don’t!
- Many hijackings occur in residential driveways. Try to open your gate in such a way that you do not have to come to a complete stop in front of it. Always scan the area for suspicious looking people. Also, ensure enough lighting in your driveway and minimal bushes or other places to hide.
- Be aware of vehicles that are following you, especially from airports. If you suspect they are following you, drive around the block to see if it continues. If it does, drive directly to your nearest police station.
- Stay away from dark and lonely places.
- Try to park in secure areas.
- Keep your valuable possessions out of sight.
- Lastly, by purchasing a low risk vehicle, your chances of getting hijacked will also be reduced.
Looking for information about the different types of car insurance? Visit this link.
- Drunk driving – This goes without saying, but if you are involved in an accident under the influence, you are supposed to go to straight to jail. Believe it or not, but some people still try to claim from their insurance company when they ruined their car under the influence of alcohol. This is illegal. Do not try to claim from your insurance when you were under the influence, and simply, do not drink and drive!
- Unlicensed driver – We all started learning to drive somewhere in our lives. Whether it was on your grandpa’s farm, through the cemetery or on the quite roads of the town you lived in. If you want to teach your child how to drive, do it in a safe environment and never let them drive alone. As they do not have much experience, accidents tend to happen. Some people try to claim from their insurance when it was their unlicensed son or daughter that caused the accident. Your insurance company will reject your claim if this is the case.
- Inaccurate or incomplete information given at the claim’s stage – Remember that any time an insurance company receives inaccurate claim information they immediately suspect fraud. Try to note as much information as you can remember from the incident when claiming, as this will decrease your chances of getting rejected. Don’t just say “I crashed” or “Someone pushed me off the road” etc. Give as much detail as you can when filing a claim.
- The ‘Regular driver’ was not driving the vehicle – This is something that happens a lot. You get a policy and declare yourself as the ‘regular driver’. Now your wife drives your car and gets in an accident. If your policy states that they will only pay out when the ‘regular driver’ was driving, then they will not pay out in this scenario. You can get your insurance company to include a ‘named driver’, or ‘any licenced driver’ in your policy. This will of course be more expensive, but you will be covered in most cases.
- Mechanical breakdowns – Be sure that you service your vehicle regularly. When the time comes that you have a mechanical breakdown, your insurer may not pay out if your vehicle has not been taken for a regular service.
- Using your vehicle for business purposes – Let’s say you have a transporting or delivery company. When your personal vehicle gets damaged while transporting goods for your business, you cannot claim that from your personal insurance. The same goes if you are Taxi driver. You must understand that your insurance rates are determined by your risk profile. People who are on the road several hours a day, will pay more than people who just drive to work and home every day. Do not use your personal vehicle for business purposes and then expect the insurance company to pay out when something goes wrong.
- Satellite tracking not fitted – It is no secret that South Africa is a high risk country and vehicles get stolen a lot. Insurance companies can’t give you a guarantee that your vehicle will be returned if you have no tracking device installed. Do not remove your tracking device or refuse to get it installed. When the time comes that your vehicle gets stolen and the insurer realizes you never had any tracking device installed, you may not get anything out of the claim.
- Leaving the scene unlawfully – There are certain steps you need to take before you leave the scene. Read the policy terms so that you understand what you can and cannot do. Do not just take a picture of the car that crashed into you and then leave the scene, for example (this is actually something many people do these days). Normally it is required that you get a police report before you can claim. This means that you should actually wait for the police to arrive and write a report. If you do not follow the rules that were given to you beforehand, you may end up in a big argument on HelloPeter.com, without you ever receiving a single rand from you insurer.
- Security device not fitted – There are many different security devices you can install into your vehicle. These can include immobilizers, alarm systems, tracking devices and many more. The more secure your vehicle is, the less you will pay for insurance. Keep in mind that if you do not have some kind of security device installed in your vehicle, it is easier to steal your car. Most insurance companies do need some security devices to be installed.
- Unroadworthy vehicles – Ensure that your wipers are in working condition and your tires have some thread to run on. If you get into an accident and it turns out that your tires were smooth during the time, or that your wipers were not working properly, the insurance company may assume you were responsible for the accident due to negligence.
- Total-loss policy – If your vehicle is a total written off, there may be certain conditions on which the policy will pay out.
- Telematics data – There are telematics devices that will reveal whether it was the driver’s fault when an accident occurred. This data may count against you and some cases.
Wat is Motorversekering?
Motorversekering is ‘n versekeringspolis wat uitgeneem word met die doel om jou eie voertuig en/of die eiendom van ‘n derde party te beskerm. Meeste versekeringsmaatskappye bied drie polisse aan naamlik:
- Omvattende Motorversekering
- Derde party alleenlik
- Derde party, brand-en-diefstal dekking
Hierdie polis dek meeste skade aan u voertuig. Dit sluit in ongelukke, natuurrampe, diefstal, vandalisme en skade aan ‘n derde party of sy eiendom ook in. Neem net in ag dat as u nuwe vellings of ‘n klankstelsel in u motor ingesit het, mag dekking daarvoor dalk nie in die polis ingesluit wees nie. Daarvoor sal mens addisionele dekking moet kry.
Derde party dekking
Hierdie polis dek enige skade wat u aan ‘n derde party se motor, of enige van sy ander eiendom aangerig het. Dit sluit gewoonlik ook enige mediese onkostes van die derde party in.
Derde party, brand-en-diefstal dekking
Dit sluit alles in wat genoem is by derde party dekking, sowel as enige skade aan u eie voertuig as gevolg van natuurrampe* en kaping/diefstal. Let wel dat u eie motor nie gedek is nie, u sal dus self vir die skade daaraan moet betaal.
Wat bepaal die premie van my voertuigversekering?
Alhoewel versekeringsmaatskappye nie noodwending na al hierdie faktore kyk nie, kan die volgende ‘n invloed hê op die bedrag wat u vir u versekering gaan betaal:
- Die tipe dekking wat u wil hê
- Word die voertuig op ‘n veilige plek parkeer deur die nag?
- Waar word die voertuig deur die dag parkeer?
- Is daar anti-diefstal toestelle in die motor ingebou?
- Tipe motor
- Jaarmodel van voertuig
- Kleur van die motor
- Kilometerlesing van voertuig
- Ouderdom van die drywer
- Geslag van drywer
- Hoe lank het die drywer al ‘n lisensie en was hy/sy al voorheen in ‘n ongeluk betrokke?
- Afstand wat maandeliks deur die motor afgelê word
- Beroep van drywer
Hoe kies ek die regte versekeringsmaatskappy?
Die antwoord op hierdie vraag is nie so eenvoudig nie. Ons stel voor u kry eers ‘n paar versekeringskwotasies sodat u kan sien watter maatskappye is mees bekostigbaar. Kyk dan na die voordele en nadele van die polisse wat hulle aanbied, ook of dit nodig gaan wees om enige addisionele dekking by te moet vat. Laastens, doen bietjie navorsing om te sien hoe tevrede is die kliënte met die diens van die versekeraar. Besoek ‘n webtuiste soos https://www.hellopeter.com/ om ander se klagtes te sien. Hou in gedagte, HelloPeter is gemaak om te kla, mense is nie altyd geneig om hulle positiewe ervaring daarop te sit nie. Moet dus nie alleenlik op negatiewe terugvoer staatmaak nie om ‘n besluit te maak nie. Kyk of die maatskappy wel kommentaar lewer op die klagtes, en of hulle die probleme wat die kliënte ervaar probeer oplos. So kan mens ‘n idee kry hoe die maatskappy hulle kliënte hanteer.
Vir Engelse weergawe van hierdie bladsy, klik hier.
Car Insurance South Africa
South Africa currently offers a whole variety of car insurance companies, how do you know which one is the best, while still the most affordable? Compare car insurance in South Africa by completing the form on the right-hand side of this page, or buy visiting our quotation page here. A consultant will then call you back with quotes from various companies and even some special offers or discounts they have to offer. We offer this service to our visitors with no risk or obligation, so they can go on with their daily routine.
Tips in Finding the Best Car Insurance Companies in South Africa
Car insurance companies are companies that offer auto insurance to the public, especially car owners. These companies may be selling insurance policies directly to the individual or through a source. Car insurance companies are usually composed of trusted and competent car insurance agents that specializes in car insurance industry and all other things related to buying and selling of car insurance policies. Since a car provides a substantial standard in people’s life, it is suggested that people must maintain and protect their cars by means of committing to the best car insurance company that provides quality service.
It is best that a car insurance company must possess a good background in order to persuade lots of individuals to purchase their insurance policies. It is also wise to choose the car insurance company that will provide you with the perfect coverage for your vehicle. There are lots of car insurance companies that will provide you with the most affordable and most appropriate vehicle coverage for you.
There are lots of car insurance companies operating in South Africa today, therefore proper practice and knowledge must be adopted. There are helpful tips that can be referred to in search for the best insurance company that stands out among the rest. One helpful tip is to visit trusted sites and be able to explore and compare each and every company then determine which company provides the most suitable packages, budget and choose the best one that will provide you with what you need.
Looking for the cheapest car insurance company will be of great help. Choosing a cheap car insurance company does not necessarily mean that you are sacrificing the quality instead it’s more of a practical move. You do not have to spend millions just to avail for car insurance because there are still cheap car insurance that is equally beneficial.
Except for online comparison when in search for the best insurance company, other recommended tips in choosing the best insurance company are knowing the car insurance agents you plan to work with, comparing benefits offered by car insurance companies, determining objectives and understanding the value or importance of the coverage to you. Before committing or signing for a car insurance policy agreement, make sure that you are well aware of the benefits as well as the pros and cons of choosing the car insurance company that you prefer.
In choosing the best car insurance company, it is very important to commit extra effort in finding the right coverage by gathering sufficient and relevant information about the car insurance company. Finding the best car insurance provider will also help. Be able to check licenses because an ideal car insurance company must have the licensed to sell insurance. Dealing with licensed and trusted car insurance company will give you pace of mind and ultimate security for you and your car as well. Considering car insurance companies that offer discounts will bring no harm but people must be aware that these companies at times offer high rates or charges.
What Is Comprehensive Car Insurance?
Comprehensive vehicle insurance, or sometimes also referred to as fully comprehensive car insurance, is considered the highest car insurance level. It gives the same cover like third party insurance. However, it provides additional extras. With this is insurance, you are protected against damage, injury, accident even if it is your fault why the case happened. So, what are the other things that it covers?
Watch the video below for a quick explanaition
So, what does this type of insurance cover?
Typically, comprehensive vehicle insurance covers motorists for damaged or loss caused by theft, fire or attempted theft. If someone is killed or hurt due to the damage or loss of an insured vehicle is also covered by this insurance. But, sometimes, it may depend on your chosen policy. Other things that are covered by comprehensive vehicle insurance are vandalism, riot, and natural disasters such as hailstorms, floods, wind damages, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc.
What are the costs involved?
The price of car vehicle insurance may vary depending on insurers, but normally, availing this kind of insurance also means incurring a costly premium. That is the reason why you need to be familiar first with the exclusions, terms and conditions written on your policy. It is vital not to fall into traps. Therefore, better choose one of the best insurance companies around. When claiming, you will be obliged by your insurer to pay for compulsory excess if you are the one that caused the accident. You can also pay for the voluntary excess if you want to lower down the cost of your premium. Or, you may ask for some options from your insurer to experience great savings.
What are the benefits?
There are many benefits you can enjoy from availing comprehensive vehicle insurance. For instance, if your car have been damaged and needed full repairs, your insurer can give you courtesy car. You have to keep in mind that not all insurance companies offer this benefit. So, read your policy if courtesy car is included. Some insurance policies don’t cover almost everything that can happen to your car. For instance, wear and tear or regular maintenance is not covered. This means your insurer will not be there to cover the cost of your regular maintenance.
Another benefit of getting comprehensive is that it can cover all the cost of your stolen car. Thus, if your insured car is a victim of theft, then, you don’t have to worry of everything because you can always have a new car immediately. No matter what price your stolen car is, your insurer will provide you the money to get a replacement for it. This is the reason why some car owners take risk to avail this insurance.
“Small claim” is the term called to accidents that have not affect your car tremendously. These claims are not offered and covered by some policies of insurance company. Nevertheless, other companies can offer you these claims, but it depends on your excess.
If you like to insure your vehicle for all eventualities, getting comprehensive vehicle insurance is a good idea. This can protect you to almost all incidents. That is why some car owners choose this level of auto insurance instead of other levels that have limited coverage. Unfortunately, this is not cheap as others expected. Since it covers various things, its premium rate is also high. But, don’t lose hope because there are tons of insurance companies that can offer cheap rate. So, where can you find these insurance companies? You can find them easily. With available resources in the market, there is no way that you won’t find a company that deserves your transaction.
If you want to save more time, look for an insurance company online. Never choose the first company you have seen while you’re searching. Find other insurance companies and compare them. Never pay attention to companies that have hidden cost on their premium rates. The reason why some premiums are costly is because some insurance companies have additional fees. If you have encountered this company, don’t ever spend your time and money to them because they will just waste it. If you don’t know what company is ideal for you, you may ask your friend has already availed comprehensive car insurance. This can help you seek for the best one.
Once you have chosen the best one, meet one of their representatives and tell them your needs for your comprehensive cover. You can negotiate the cost of premium rates with them if you want to save money. Because your target is cheap comprehensive vehicle insurance, see to it that your chosen assurance company is reliable and won’t offer you low quality services.
Comprehensive vehicle insurance may be expensive, but it will be worth it in the long run and can offer you numerous benefits. Just ensure that before you sign a contract with your chosen insurance company, you have read the terms and conditions in the policy provided for you to have clear thoughts about the things involved in your claims.